February 6, 2015 | Written by GreenSoft Technology, Inc.
Over A Dozen EU RoHS Exemption Extension Requests Filed
February 06, 2015｜Written by GreenSoft Technology, Inc.
The IPC Association Connecting Electronics Industries and an industry stakeholders group filed over a dozen extension requests yesterday for RoHS-2 exemptions that are set to expire in 2016.
Under the European Union RoHS-2 Directive, all exemptions have expiration dates. Some of the exemptions set to expire in 2016 arecritical to the electronics manufacturing industry, according to IPC.
IPC states: "Throughout the process, IPC and several member companies provided important technical information in order to ensure the extension requests are robust and scientifically sound. IPC reviewed all extension requests and provided important feedback that resulted in credible material submitted to the EU Commission."
According to the EU website, exemption requests may be granted in certain circumstances such as when a substitute chemical is scientifically or technically impracticable, unreliable, or unavailable.
The process of approving an exemption extension request may take up to one and a half years. However, the RoHS-2 Directive obligates the EU Commission to make a decision on applications for exemption renewals no later than 6 months before the expiration date of the existing exemption.
For a full list of the exemption extension requests and for more information, visit the IPC blog.
Subscribe to our Blog
Blog Search & Categories
- Anti-Slavery and Human Trafficking
- California Proposition 65
- Canadian Environmental Protection Act
- CE Mark
- Certificate of Compliance
- China RoHS
- Component Disclosure Module
- Conflict Minerals – Canada
- Conflict Minerals – EU
- Conflict Minerals – U.S.
- eCMA Forms
- EN 50581/EN IEC 63000:2018
- EU Battery Directive
- EU Green Deal
- EU Medical Device Regulation (MDR)
- EU Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) Regulation
- EU REACH
- EU RoHS
- EU Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)
- French Environmental Labeling Requirements
- Full Material Declaration (FMD)
- GreenData Manager Software
- GreenSoft Data Services
- GreenSoft Technology
- Hosted GreenData Manager (GDM) Software
- iGDM Component Database Search
- IPC-1752A Viewer
- JGPSSI & JIG-101
- Korea REACH
- SCIP Database
- Trade Shows
- U.S. Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
- UK RoHS
- White Paper Library
5 products forced to be removed from European market due to EU RoHS violations
EU RoHS Annex III amended to include new exemption
New report published with recommendations on commonly used EU RoHS exemptions
4 products removed from European market due to EU RoHS, EU REACH, and EU POP violations
8 products removed from European market due to EU RoHS violations